RV ownership has reached record levels. More than nine million households now own an RV. Here’s some interesting facts from a recent RIVA survey about who these RV owners are.
According to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association’s (RIVA) most recent ownership report, the fastest-growing population of RV owners in 2013 was 35 to 44 years old, which is just slightly less than the industry’s largest population of owners, which are between 45 and 54 years old.
Today’s typical RV owner is 48 years old, married, with an annual household income of $62,000 — higher than the median for all households, according to a University of Michigan study. RV owners are likely to own their homes and spend disposable income on traveling — an average of three weeks annually, RVIA research shows.
With such a diverse population of RV owners, let’s look at some of the reasons why RVing is so popular.
- Flexibility and convenience — RVs offer a convenient, hassle-free way to see America. RV travelers enjoy the freedom and flexibility to go where they want, when they want — without the worry and stress of inflexible schedules, advance reservations, airport waits and luggage restrictions.
- Comfort — With fully-equipped kitchens and baths, rooms that slide out at the touch of a button, central air and heat, flat-screen TVs, surround-sound stereos and more, today’s RVs provide travelers with all the amenities of home while on the road or at the campground.
- Family appeal — RVing is a uniquely enjoyable way to travel as a family. In fact, families that frequently vacation by RV say it fosters an increased sense of togetherness and helps improve family communication. RV owners say that strengthening family relationships is important for their pleasure trips.
- Affordability — RV vacations are more affordable than travel by personal car, commercial airline or cruise ship, according to vacation cost-comparison studies by PKF Consulting. Even factoring in RV ownership costs, and considering resulting tax benefits, a family of four can spend up to 59 percent less when traveling by RV.
- Lure of the outdoors — RVers can enjoy the mountains, beaches, parks, popular tourist attractions and small towns whenever they want, without giving up the comforts of home. With sport utility RVs, RV travelers can easily haul their ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles or other outdoor vehicles right on board.
- Versatility — In addition to travel, camping and outdoor recreation, RVs are used year-round for a variety of other purposes, like shopping, tailgating at sporting events, pursuing special interests like horse, dog and antique shows and other hobbies.